Friday, August 1, 2014

Excerpt: Teaching Roman by Gennifer Albin


Release day: June 2014

Blurb:


Jessica Stone has her life in perfect order until her perfectly boring boyfriend Brett puts things in perspective. So when she receives a call to action from her heartbroken best friend Cassie, she ditches her plans for Winter Break in gloomy Olympic Falls and sets off to Mexico for some fun in the sun.


Determined to use her oceanview to prep for her MCATS, she doesn't plan to run into anyone from Olympic State, least of all the cute communications prof she's been crushing on for a year. When he unexpectedly saves the day, the two are thrown together in a distinctly extracurricular activity.


Roman Markson doesn’t expect to run into anyone he knows from Olympic Falls while visiting his family in Puerto Vallarta, especially not a former student. Although Jess Stone has a way of catching men’s attention, a relationship with her is strictly off-limits. However, the rules feel less strict in Mexico, so they agree to a plan: one week in paradise and nothing more.


But avoiding each other back on campus is harder than they anticipated, especially when they can’t stay away from one another. Neither is sure what they have to learn—and lose—before life teaches them a lesson they’ll never forget.


Goodreads link: https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/18157895-teaching-roman



Excerpt:

“You want a drink or something?” I offered. I knew exactly what I needed to do. Get her comfortable. Calm her down. Distract her. Then discuss options. I called it my chill pill list. It was a bad habit of mine to fall back on my bedside manner when one of my girls was freaking out.

“I would like a baseball bat or some pepper spray.” Cassie off a list that grew scarier with each item. She ended on “one of those giant medieval devices with the spikes that you shut assholes up in.”

“I’m not sure we have an iron maiden,” Jillian said, a note of apology in her voice. She patted the couch in an effort to get Cassie to sit down, but Cassie kept up her manic pacing. The whole room was filled with the frenzied energy of a woman scorned. Normally Cassie was totally put together, but right now her black hair was pulled into a messy pony tail and her clothes were wrinkled.

“You’re going to be a doctor.” She pointed at me, and I shrank back against the couch cushion. “What do they use to castrate assholes?”

I shook my head. “Um, we generally don’t do that, even to assholes.”

“Knives,” Jillian spoke up and I shot her a look. Whatever was going on, arming Cassie seemed like a bad idea.

“Good. You have knives, right?”

“Noooooo,” Jillian answered, looking to the kitchen.

I made up my mind to tackle Cassie if she took one step toward the kitchen cabinets.


Author Bio:

I like coffee. A lot. Writing gives me time to go get a cup without my kids. I like books as much as I like coffee, but it is easier to read with children hanging on you than drink coffee due to the threat of third degree burns. That's why coffee gets top billing in my intro: its unattainability.

I hold a Masters in English with a specialization in 18th century women's studies. While this is a highly marketable area of expertise, I stay home with my kids, which means my 3 year-old son uses correct grammar and doesn't burn down the house.

I have a ridiculously supportive husband who dreams of being included on a book jacket: "The author lives in Kansas with her husband, two children, and a Tuesday cat." 



Links:





Website: http://www.genniferalbin.com/
Facebook Fan Page: https://www.facebook.com/genniferalbinbooks
Twitter: https://twitter.com/GenniferAlbin
Goodreads: https://www.goodreads.com/author/show/4906436.Gennifer_Albin


No comments:

Post a Comment