Friday, August 21, 2015

Review: Hanover House (Hanover House Chronicles 0.5) by Brenda Novak



Rating: 5 of 5 stars
Publication Date: September 1rst 2015

Blurb:


Prequel novella to my new Hanover House Chronicles (digital only).


Welcome to Hanover House….



Psychiatrist Evelyn Talbot has dedicated her life to solving the mysteries of the psychopathic mind. Why do psychopaths act as they do? How do they come to be? Why don’t they feel any remorse for the suffering they cause? And are there better ways of spotting and stopping them?



After having been kidnapped, tortured and left for dead when she was just a teenager—by her high school boyfriend—she’s determined to understand how someone she trusted so much could turn on her. So she’s established a revolutionary new medical health center in the remote town of Hilltop, Alaska, where she studies the worst of the worst.



But not everyone in Hilltop is excited to have Hanover House and its many serial killers in the area. Alaskan State Trooper, Sergeant Amarok, is one of them. And yet he can’t help feeling bad about what Evelyn has been through. He’s even attracted to her. Which is partly why he worries.



He knows what could happen if only one little thing goes wrong…


Review:



Hanover House is the prequel to Brenda Novak's new series/duet. I feel ashamed to admit it, but my main focus was on the romance side of the story. I just really liked the relationship between Evelyn and Amarok. I loved how Amarok was not pushing Evelyn, not even a little for something she wasn't ready for and wasn't able to give. He understood her and he was very comforting.


Evelyn is quite strong. She went through so many things and her determination to go into the psychopathic mind is made her seem in my mind as someone who will be able to go through everything life throws at them. Things aren't easy on her in Hilltop. I am looking forward to seeing the results of her research in the next books, even though the results will be fictional.

Jasper is the villain of the story and I don't think that his plotline will end in the first book. Some parts of this story were told from his point of view and that only proved how sick he is. I wonder what he is going to do next. He is quite resourceful. Hugo is quite interesting for a phycho killer and I would love to dive into his mind.

In the next book, I am hopping that we will see the Hanover House open its gates. It will be very interesting to see how things will go. 

I realized that I prefer to read books by Breda Novak that don't have romance as their main genre. My relationship with her Whiskey Creek series is rocky at best, but I loved this book (main genre Suspense) and her latest release, The secret sister. It's too bad that the next book won't be released until the September of 2016. 



No comments:

Post a Comment