Monday, September 28, 2015

Review: Breaking a Legend (Kavanagh Legends, #1) by Sarah Robinson




Rating 4.5 out of 5 stars
Publication Date: September 29, 2015

Blurb:

Perfect for fans of Katy Evans and Monica Murphy, Sarah Robinson’s blistering-hot series debut introduces the Kavanagh brothers—mixed martial arts fighters who work hard, play hard, and love with all their hearts. 

As one of the big names at his family’s gym, Legends, MMA star Rory Kavanagh is used to being in the spotlight—until a gruesome leg injury knocks him out of the cage. Rory is left feeling sidelined in more ways than one, battling the inner demons that come with losing the one shot at his dreams. Then Clare walks into his life and gives him a new dream: winning her heart. There aren’t many new faces in Woodlawn these days, but this tough, beautiful stranger makes Rory want to get his life back into fighting shape.

Clare Ivers doesn’t think she’ll be able to tell anyone what really brought her to the close-knit Bronx neighborhood where she just started bartending. But her life’s on pause and her past is catching up fast, try as she might to move on—with new friends, steady work, and a chiseled alpha male trying to get her attention. Even though Rory’s more than a little intense, she can’t deny that her heart beats faster when he looks at her with those soulful silver eyes. Clare thought she was done with love, but Rory might just be man enough to show her she thought wrong.

Includes a special message from the editor, as well as an excerpt from another Loveswept title. 

For 18+ years of age.

Review:

Breaking a legend is a great beginning for a new series. It introduced us the whole Kavanagh family and the secondary characters are present in a big part of the book which made it easier to like them and look forward to their books. I liked Casey the most, but I want Quinn's story to be next. I wouldn't have minded if Rory had more parts from his point of view. I feel as if most of the story was told by Clare. The relationship between the two of them is easy and things get hot and heavy quite fast which wasn't a bad thing.

Before I started this book I thought that it was going to be more on the dark side than the light hearted. Rory is an addict to pills after his injury and drinks heavily. I believed that was going to affect the flow of the story, but it didn’t. For me the book is almost something that I would expect to read in a book of a series that is going to be about a family. Most, if not all the brothers will get a book and I believe that so will Casey. I hope the next book will be about Quinn and Kiera. While we never see Quinn and Kiera interacting with each other Dee teases Quinn about her and I got my hopes up. Maybe it’s just because I wanted to see Kiera getting her happy ending considering that she is one of us. She was crying over a book and unless I am very wrong she is a bookworm like me.

What I don’t understand is how Rory was able to stop taking pills without feeling any withdraw symptoms. They say that he is an addicted and yet he stops them with no side effects. That bothered me the most.
I have a soft spot for animals and what I liked in this book was how both characters love and want to take care of them. I loved Ace.

What bothers me is that Rory in the beginning sleeps with another woman and I wasn't bother by it. I just kept reading and I usually hate it when one half of the main couple (either the heroine or the hero) sleeps with someone else. I don't know if it was the way the author wrote it (we see him wake up next to her and it was quite early in the story) or if it was because I didn't care about what happened.

No comments:

Post a Comment