Monday, November 23, 2015

Review: Fighting Dirty (Worth the Fight #5) by Sidney Halston



Rating: 4 out of 5 stars
Publication Date: November 24, 2015

Blurb:

If you love the MMA romances of Vi Kreeland and Kendall Ryan, Sidney Halston’s Worth the Fight series will knock your socks off! In Fighting Dirty, a geek-chic cage fighter proves that appearances can be deceiving . . . and oh-so-tempting.

With his preppy clothes and horn-rimmed glasses, Enzo Silva is the last dude anyone expects to find in a mixed martial arts gym. A wealthy Brazilian banker who never had to fight for anything, Enzo’s stuck in the amateur circuit—but he burns to make the pros. Maybe that explains the heat he feels whenever he’s around Jamie Lynn Calhoun. The pint-size, magenta-haired bartender with the Texas drawl is everything he’s not . . . and everything he craves.

Tough as nails and independent to a fault, Jamie Lynn—JL to her friends—works hard to pay her bills and keep life simple. Enzo is doing his best to complicate that. Even though she likes to bust his balls, he’s got some kind of a nerdy-hot vibe that makes JL wonder if she might finally be able to let her guard down. It might do the boy some good to spend some time in her world, where blood, sweat, and victory are as sweet as the first taste of real love.
 

Review:

Fighting Dirty was a book I wanted to read because I was hooked up on Enzo and JL's story. Unfortunately for me, things didn't work out as I was expecting them and I ended up a little disappointed. I found myself during the book to be focusing on Travis and Penny's story and Iggy whom I found very interesting. Travis and Penny interact a couple of times only and yet I found that more interesting than Enzo and JL's story. A few things about Penny's past are revealed and it made things more interesting. I can't wait to see what else she is hiding. Iggy is my favorite character in this book because despite his injuries he is smiling and making jokes. Most people in his place would have been broody and made things harder for the people around him, but he doesn't. I expect a book about him.

My favorite part of the story is in the early events of the book when JL goes to an art class and finds out what it means to lose a bet. I am not going to say more because it was the scene that made me laugh the most in the book and it would be a bad thing if I ruined it for you.

What ruined for me a little the book is the very weird and unexpected thing that happened in the plotline that involved JL's mother. I just don't get where it came from and I didn't like it. Something that some of the readers might not like is the fact that JL and Enzo's first date lasts four days. Read the book to find out how that happened. JL's fears and insecurities are the obstacle she faces when it comes to her relationship with Enzo. She made things harder than they had to be for both of them and I wasn't a fan of that even if I did understand where it came from.

Something about this book didn't work for me and that's why I am giving it four stars instead of five. I started appreciating Violet more in this book, though s the book got some of the points it lost from the things I mentioned above. I am looking forward to Travis book even if it's going to be the last in the series. With the new developments I just hope that we won't see Travis sleeping with someone else before he starts a relationship with Penny.


No comments:

Post a Comment